Best print bed surface for Nylon?

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
Post Reply
User avatar
Renha
Printmaster!
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:18 am
Location: Balashikha, Russian Federation
Contact:

Best print bed surface for Nylon?

Post by Renha » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:58 pm

I want to print Taulman 910 on my MAX and later on Ashwood Max Metal, so I wonder what is the best surface to do that? Any other tips'n'tricks?
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.

User avatar
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDDI
Posts: 7185
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Best print bed surface for Nylon?

Post by Eaglezsoar » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:06 pm

From the Taulman Web site for 910:


Print Bed =

Cold = BuildTak with coat of PVA

Hot = Glass heated to 45C with coat of PVA

(PVA is 50% water and 50% "Elmers Glue All")



Renha wrote:I want to print Taulman 910 on my MAX and later on Ashwood Max Metal, so I wonder what is the best surface to do that? Any other tips'n'tricks?
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”

JFettig
Printmaster!
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:39 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Best print bed surface for Nylon?

Post by JFettig » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:10 pm

910 prints really well on PVA on glass.

User avatar
Renha
Printmaster!
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:18 am
Location: Balashikha, Russian Federation
Contact:

Re: Best print bed surface for Nylon?

Post by Renha » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:29 am

Thank you! Is there any variant without PVA, any clear surface working?
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.

User avatar
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDDI
Posts: 7185
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Best print bed surface for Nylon?

Post by Eaglezsoar » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:58 pm

Renha wrote:Thank you! Is there any variant without PVA, any clear surface working?

I read some reports about using wood as a print surface with nylon but it escapes me where I read that at.
I think they meant some sort of smooth plywood.

Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDDI
Posts: 2430
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: Redmond WA

Re: Best print bed surface for Nylon?

Post by Polygonhell » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:13 pm

For the 6xx nylons Taulman used to recommend poplar boards or garolite.
I've tried both, and they both work, never tried printing with 910.
The issue with the earlier nylons was warping made ABS look like it didn't warp at all.

User avatar
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDDI
Posts: 5412
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:15 pm
Location: MA, USA
Contact:

Re: Best print bed surface for Nylon?

Post by mhackney » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:23 pm

Garolite works so well that you can barely remove the part. For parts with a large bottom surface area you have to mask the garrote with blue tape to keep the part from sticking so firmly - but then you might end up with earning issues.

@Eaglesoarz, Taulman recommended poplar wood and garolite for the early nylons. I tried poplar wood the first time I printed with it while I waited for my garolite sheet to arrive. It is too textured for my taste, leaves an obvious wood grain on the bottom of the part.

Today I print on PVA on glass.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

User avatar
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDDI
Posts: 7185
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Best print bed surface for Nylon?

Post by Eaglezsoar » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:43 pm

Thanks for the replies about Poplar wood, I knew I read about using wood but I couldn't remember what wood was specified.

User avatar
Renha
Printmaster!
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:18 am
Location: Balashikha, Russian Federation
Contact:

Re: Best print bed surface for Nylon?

Post by Renha » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:22 am

mhackney wrote:Garolite works so well that you can barely remove the part. For parts with a large bottom surface area you have to mask the garrote with blue tape to keep the part from sticking so firmly - but then you might end up with earning issues.

@Eaglesoarz, Taulman recommended poplar wood and garolite for the early nylons. I tried poplar wood the first time I printed with it while I waited for my garolite sheet to arrive. It is too textured for my taste, leaves an obvious wood grain on the bottom of the part.

Today I print on PVA on glass.


Thanks for answer. Garolite plate i have hasn't been worked well for trimmer line.

What about PEI+PVA instead of Glass+PVA? I imagine PVA is main holder, not glass
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.

User avatar
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDDI
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: Best print bed surface for Nylon?

Post by teoman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:47 am

If you put anything on pei, you are losing all of its proprties. Except thermal insulation which is an undesirable property.

Then you have to clean the pei aswell.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.

User avatar
Renha
Printmaster!
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:18 am
Location: Balashikha, Russian Federation
Contact:

Re: Best print bed surface for Nylon?

Post by Renha » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:06 am

teoman wrote:If you put anything on pei, you are losing all of its proprties. Except thermal insulation which is an undesirable property.

Then you have to clean the pei aswell.

there are no usable properties for nylon at pei, afaik
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.

JFettig
Printmaster!
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:39 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Best print bed surface for Nylon?

Post by JFettig » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:36 am

No need to over complicate something simple :) I have only had one 910 print come up from pva on glass.

User avatar
Renha
Printmaster!
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:18 am
Location: Balashikha, Russian Federation
Contact:

Re: Best print bed surface for Nylon?

Post by Renha » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:48 am

Thanks you all for answers, i'll try glass+pva!
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.

Post Reply

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”