What are the benefits of upgrading my Rostock Max V3 to a V3.2

The new for 2016 Rostock MAX v3!
Cpaclee
Noob

What are the benefits of upgrading my Rostock Max V3 to a V3.2

Postby Cpaclee » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:04 am

Hey guys, I love my Max V3, have printed hundreds of hours on it. Should I upgrade to the V3.2 and what are the benefits of it?

Iamarobot
Plasticator

Re: What are the benefits of upgrading my Rostock Max V3 to a V3.2

Postby Iamarobot » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:59 am

Anyone have a respoonse? I'm thinking about upgrading to 3.2 as it looks like my heater cartridge is shot in my HE280, but want to know for sure that it's a worthwhile upgrade and would allow printing higher temperature materials reliably.

geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDDI

Postby geneb » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:50 am

The largest benefit to the upgrade is the 32 bit Duet controller. You'll get excellent calibration, every time. You can also do rapid moves at 400mm/sec without losing steps.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects

Iamarobot
Plasticator

Postby Iamarobot » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:21 pm

Thanks, geneb.

Any experience with the SE300 vs. the HE280 in terms of high temperature materials? Or is there a clearly better solution like an E3D V6?

Bogative
Plasticator

Postby Bogative » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:33 am

Iamarobot wrote:Anyone have a respoonse? I'm thinking about upgrading to 3.2 as it looks like my heater cartridge is shot in my HE280, but want to know for sure that it's a worthwhile upgrade and would allow printing higher temperature materials reliably.

I am wondering the same thing with mine.. It can not hold temp once it hits layer 2 and the fans come on. Slowly drifts down and I tried redoing PID cal. I also tried doing PID cal with fans on but never got to temp. Assume heater cartridge.. Cheap enough to get new one and test but was also considering the upgrade if I could find a good reason.

Iamarobot
Plasticator

Postby Iamarobot » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:19 am

I went ahead and got the upgrade kit, and am doing a first test print now. So far, it is insanely much quieter and seems to handle speed better. The Duet browser control has a lot of nice features and information, and the calibration is much more thorough.

Did I mention how much quieter it is?

I have to set up Cura so that I can really put it through its paces this weekend and next week, but so far so good. I was using Mattercontrol with the V3, which was fine, but I do prefer Cura.

Check your 12AWG power wires into the Rambo board - I had loose wires into the board which I think is what started my issues with hot end temperature stability. I don't know if that led to a fried heater cartridge, or if it was coincidental to that problem, but when I checked one of the wires just fell out of the terminal block.

Bogative
Plasticator

Postby Bogative » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:45 pm

Iamarobot wrote:I went ahead and got the upgrade kit, and am doing a first test print now. So far, it is insanely much quieter and seems to handle speed better. The Duet browser control has a lot of nice features and information, and the calibration is much more thorough.

Did I mention how much quieter it is?

I have to set up Cura so that I can really put it through its paces this weekend and next week, but so far so good. I was using Mattercontrol with the V3, which was fine, but I do prefer Cura.

Check your 12AWG power wires into the Rambo board - I had loose wires into the board which I think is what started my issues with hot end temperature stability. I don't know if that led to a fried heater cartridge, or if it was coincidental to that problem, but when I checked one of the wires just fell out of the terminal block.

Sounds good.. I don't want to spend the $600 right now as I would have to add touchscreen controller as well. Noise is a non-issue for my location. Ordered 2 heater carts but I will check the wiring when I get back in town. I would like to get it back in service my Prusas have been running almost non-stop so I need another printer going.

Return to “Rostock MAX v3”